Sunday 1 April 2012

Blog Changes and New Buttons.

Slowly but surely I've been pottering around my blog over the past week making slight changes here and there. (Giving the poor darling a makeover and a little attention seemed like the least I could do for it.) While I admit I am much happier with the way it looks now, I terribly miss my Northanger Abbey banner which faithfully greeted me each time I opened my blog. But it was definitely time for a change and after spending a rather frustrating day at my editing program I was able to finally come up with a banner I felt happy with.
Despite the pictures being of Pip and Estella from the 2011 adaptation of Great Expectations, I felt that rather than simply have my blog title, I wanted to use the whole quote from Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey:
"But when a young lady is to be a heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way."
I suppose my use of that quote makes me seem quite...I don't know what phrase to use but I imagine if my brother were to find that this quote was my favourite he would proclaim that I was 'such a girl'. But I can assure you I don't flit or flounce around weighing up every man I see as a potential husband/hero. Neither do I sit at home raising a fist to the sky crying 'When will that something happen to throw a hero in my way!' I just like that quote for the simple reason that I love Austen's sense of humour and I just find it to be oddly reassuring. And so what better reason to have the whole quote across the banner.

Also in changing everything around I decided to add some new blog buttons, the older ones didn't seem to fit with the updated look.

Bright Star (2009): John Keats & Fanny Brawne


Image and video hosting by TinyPic





Great Expectations (2011): Pip & Estella


Image and video hosting by TinyPic



I hope you all like the changes as much as I do and I pray that you all have a wonderful upcoming week, especially as we move into celebrating Easter.

Much love from you friend,

Mel

ps. I am finally getting around to writing some reviews so you will see some soon :)

6 comments:

Jujube said...

I love the new makeover you gave to your blog. It fits it splendidly! The new buttons are lovely and the banner with Estella and Pip looks wonderful. Also, I'm very excited to see the latest adaptation of Great Expectations. You've seen it, right. Of course you have...I'd love to hear what you think about it. It looks great, and I must say, I'm looking forward to see Harry Lloyd play Herbert Pocket. Because I don't think I've ever seen a film with Harry Lloyd, and Herbert is my favorite Great Expectations character.

Once again, I'd really glad to see you back here, Mel!

Riley Pleasants said...

such lovely new changes!
I'm looking forward to the reviews.
hugs,
Riley

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Oooh! I love the new blog buttons and have put the GE one on my blog.

I really like the new header and especially how you've included the complete quote.
It's a favorite quote of mine too because it's very funny in a sweet way and like you said it is oddly reassuring.

Looking forward to reading your film reviews! :)

Elizabeth said...

It is lovely! :) I love the new banner!

Miss Dashwood said...

Hello! Found your blog through my friend Melody's recommendation-- I like your header! I haven't seen the 2011 GE, but I really like the book.
I'm following your blog--thanks for following mine!

Mel said...

*waves* Hello! I also found your blog through Melody hehe :) Thank you, the 2011 adaptation is really good, I am sure that you would love it if you like the book :)
And no problem your blog is absolutely beautiful, thank you so much for following me.